FISH & CHIPS SALT N’ VINEGAR CRUMBED WITH TWICE COOKED CHIPS
This is a STEP-BY-STEP guide to follow if you need clarification along the way. Enjoy the cook. NOTE: Cut the fish into approx 50 gram strips
PREPING THE CHIPS
CRUMBING THE FISH
In a bowl add:
– Greek yoghurt
– finely sliced cornichons
– picked and finely chopped dill fronds (keep a couple of full dill stalks to use on the salad)
– lemon zest
– a good glug of EV Olive Oil
Mix well and set aside in the fridge.
THE MAIN EVENT!
1. If your potatoes were not cooked before you made the sauce, check your potatoes again by placing a sharp knife into a piece. It should go through really easily and the outside should look fluffy. If they are cooked, strain them now and place them onto the drying rack. If you have time you can place them into the fridge to dry off a little or simply wait 5-10minutes on the drying rack.
2. Place baking paper onto an oven tray and drizzle EV Olive Oil on the paper. Place the chips carefully onto the tray and ensure each is coated with some of that oil. Once this is done, drizzle a little more EV Olive Oil over the top and place them into your pre-heated oven. These will take approx. 20mins to cook and become golden brown.
Whilst you are waiting for the chips to cook, let’s make the salad.
RED CABBAGE SALAD
1. Shred the red cabbage finely. Place it into a mixing bowl.
2. Pick left over dill fronds and add this to the cabbage. Place this in the fridge and we will dress this last minute.
COOKING THE FISH
NOTE: We start cooking the fish when the chips are beginning to get golden. At approximately 12-15mins in the oven.
1. In a deep frypan, add enough EV Olive Oil to cover the base of the pan.
2. Once the pan is hot, place the fish carefully into the oil. You can test the heat of the oil by placing a crumb into the oil, if it begins to fry then the oil is hot enough to add the fish.
3. The fish will take approx. 3-4mins to cook on each side. Turn the fish as they become golden brown. Whilst the fish is cooking, bring the tartare sauce and red cabbage salad out of the fridge. Squeeze fresh lemon juice into the salad, a pinch of salt and a drizzle of EV Olive Oil. Mix the salad well and place it into a nice serving dish.
4. Place paper towel onto a tray to drain off the excess oil from the chips and fish.
5. Just as the fish is almost finished cooking (so all sides are golden brown and they have stiffened up), take the chips out of the oven and place onto the paper towel to drain. Add a sprinkle of good quality salt, place them into a serving dish.
6. Take the fish off the heat and place them onto the paper towel. Add them to the serving dish.